Seen this one on a couple of ljs, but stole it from ang_band
❀ everyone has dirty fandom secrets or guilty pleasures or unpopular opinions.
❀ list five of yours.
❀ get cries of OMG YOU TOO or WTF ARE YOU SMOKING
1. I genuinely like a lot of Frank Miller's stuff. Not ASSBAR, but I loved 300 and Sin City. I saw The Spirit movie in theaters and thought it was more bizarre than bad. I don't see how his obsession with whoreswhoreswhores is any worse than Garth Ennis' love for anal rape and asplodey heads, or Bendis' hard-on for Luke Cage and sentence fragments.
2. I don't give a FUCK about your thoughts on slash. I don't give a fuck if you think its feminist, anti-feminist, anti-gay, heteronormative, part of the homosexual agenda, OOC, disrespectful to the source material, disrespectful to gays, etc. Think whatever you think, and believe what you believe, but don't expect me to give a flying fuck. I have been in fandom since 1998, and I have heard it ALL. I have been lectured so many times about why I supposedly love slash, and why that makes me sexist, or anti-gay, or what have you. I am so tired of being informed why I enjoy what I enjoy.
3. On a related note, I sincerely believe that a lot of the hateration for certain slash pairings (I'm using Cable/Deadpool as an obvious example) comes not because there's no subtext, because holy crap is there subtext, but because they're not conventionally hot yaoi guys, and I think that pisses certain people off because they prefer to think that all slash fangirls are into is getting their rocks off wanking about hot guys. Now, Cable is certainly attractive in a silver fox sort of way, but neither he nor Deadpool is by any means your typical bishounen. And I think that drives certain people *crazy*, because they're shipped and slashed and squeed over just as ardently by fangirls as some 'prettier' pairings.
4. I love writing for Hetalia, but unfortunately I've come to feel that reading Hetalia fic has retarded my writing skills. The overall quality of fic is not as high in Hetalia fandom as I'm used to. This is probably old hat to those of you who're involved in giant fandoms, but I've also never been involved in a fandom as entitled and bitchy as Hetalia fandom. HAY GUESS WHAT AUTHOR ANON IS NOT YOUR BITCH.
5. I fucking loved scans_daily, the old one, and I've never quite recovered from it being taken down. I still can't bear to remove it from my communities list. I had some of my best fannish experiences on there. I spent hours scanning and cropping and writing funny commentary and reading and squeeing and face-palming. If s_d hadn't existed, it is unlikely I would've gotten involved in LJ Marvel fandom. I wouldn't have met and befriended Caia and Ang Band and Harmony Angel and Redcandle17, all of whom I consider friends both on LJ and IRL. Even while it was up and running there was a lot of bitchiness over s_d, and I remember talking to Skalja one day and saying, "I just know some day I'm gonna turn on my computer and s_d's gonna be gone." And lo and behold, it was.